Legal Tips For Smooth Sailing Small Business Operations
Running a business isn’t child’s play. From meeting client requirements to keeping employees happy, an entrepreneur has to juggle multiple roles. Despite knowing the game’s challenges beforehand, many individuals have the grit to step into the ring and become entrepreneurs.
Well, thanks to them today, the SMEs are prospering like never before. According to 2017s data, 99.3% of private sector businesses are small businesses, among them, 99.9% are small and medium-sized enterprises.
If you want to join this league and be a small business owner, you’ve got to get rid of your fears and take the right steps to start your own business. Here are some bits of legal advice you should consider to ensure smooth operations to help you along.
Use written, custom-drafted agreements only
Whenever you sign a contract, opt for a written document. Written documents specify your legal obligations and help prevent future misunderstandings that are often witnessed in the case of non-binding verbal agreements. Moreover, don’t make the mistake of using default templates for agreements. They often include clauses that don’t suit all businesses and you can end up in legal implications. Avoid using templates and create your own agreements.
Don’t underestimate the value of intellectual property
In 2014, a Forbes commentator revealed that more than 80% of a company’s value stems from its intangible assets. Therefore one should never neglect their intellectual properties such as design, copyright, and many more.
Avoiding internal conflict
Take special care in drafting the below mentioned internal agreements:
- Shareholder’s Agreement – It defines the company’s relationship with its shareholder and accelerates the decision-making process.
- Directors’ Service Agreement – It allows employees to state the duties and rights beyond the Companies Act of 2006 in front of their directors.
- Employment Agreement – Used for describing an employee’s duties and rights, the employment agreement serves as a default legal provision for workers.
Avoiding external conflict?
The below mentioned external agreements should also not be overlooked:
- Non Disclosure Agreement – Usually, when a business shares documents with a third-party and agrees on keeping the details confidential, it signs a non-disclosure agreement.
- Software Development Agreement – With tons of startups coming up, businesses have to protect their intellectual property right. When another party is developing the same software as your company, you both need to sign this agreement.
- Website terms and conditions – Terms and conditions allow customers to use an organization’s products as per their guidance. Things like minimum age requirements, governing law, and timelines, come under a website’s terms and conditions.
Can you overlook the legal part?
Frankly, you can’t! If you want to have a smooth-running business, you’ll have to follow the rules and norms set by the Companies Act 2006. Moreover, staying positive and optimistic will make your task much easier.
More in Legal Advice
One-fourth Of Family Lawyers Considering Leaving Their Profession – Here’s Why
There are few professions in the world that seem immensely respectful, and the field of law is one of them. The...May 21, 2021
Stolen Laptop? This WEIRD Method Can Protect Your Data
Losing your laptop or having it stolen can be quite miserable. Not only will you experience a financial setback that will...May 21, 2021
Boiler Maintenance Tips Every Landlord Should Know
Let’s agree on this – investment in properties undoubtedly help one gain a lot of profit, but only if such properties...May 15, 2021
The Gateses Call It Quits – Details of Bill and Melinda’s Unexpected Divorce
Last week the world sustained a major shock – Bill and Melinda’s divorce announcement. The news surprised everyone as it came almost...May 11, 2021
Want to Retire a Millionaire? Here are Three Investing Tips You Should Live by Today
Retiring with millions in your savings and investment accounts is a dream that not many would get to live. That shouldn’t...May 5, 2021
Here’s How You Can Secure a Job Right After College
Many people attend college to have the edge over their peers in a super-competitive job market. Still, fresh graduates usually spend time doing...May 3, 2021
Law Students Are Using Crazy Tactics to Stay up All Night And It’s Taking a Toll on Their Health
If you are studying law right now, chances are, you are committed to the profession, and rightfully so, since you’re in it...April 23, 2021
Here’s How You Can Improve Your Credit to Land The Best Mortgage Rates
Let’s cut right to the chase – getting a mortgage is essential to buying your dream home. Unless, of course, you have...April 22, 2021