Legal Tips For Smooth Sailing Small Business Operations
Running a business isn’t child’s play. From meeting client requirements to keeping employees happy, an entrepreneur has to juggle multiple roles. Despite knowing the game’s challenges beforehand, many individuals have the grit to step into the ring and become entrepreneurs.
Well, thanks to them today, the SMEs are prospering like never before. According to 2017s data, 99.3% of private sector businesses are small businesses, among them, 99.9% are small and medium-sized enterprises.
If you want to join this league and be a small business owner, you’ve got to get rid of your fears and take the right steps to start your own business. Here are some bits of legal advice you should consider to ensure smooth operations to help you along.
Use written, custom-drafted agreements only
Whenever you sign a contract, opt for a written document. Written documents specify your legal obligations and help prevent future misunderstandings that are often witnessed in the case of non-binding verbal agreements. Moreover, don’t make the mistake of using default templates for agreements. They often include clauses that don’t suit all businesses and you can end up in legal implications. Avoid using templates and create your own agreements.
Don’t underestimate the value of intellectual property
In 2014, a Forbes commentator revealed that more than 80% of a company’s value stems from its intangible assets. Therefore one should never neglect their intellectual properties such as design, copyright, and many more.
Avoiding internal conflict
Take special care in drafting the below mentioned internal agreements:
- Shareholder’s Agreement – It defines the company’s relationship with its shareholder and accelerates the decision-making process.
- Directors’ Service Agreement – It allows employees to state the duties and rights beyond the Companies Act of 2006 in front of their directors.
- Employment Agreement – Used for describing an employee’s duties and rights, the employment agreement serves as a default legal provision for workers.
Avoiding external conflict?
The below mentioned external agreements should also not be overlooked:
- Non Disclosure Agreement – Usually, when a business shares documents with a third-party and agrees on keeping the details confidential, it signs a non-disclosure agreement.
- Software Development Agreement – With tons of startups coming up, businesses have to protect their intellectual property right. When another party is developing the same software as your company, you both need to sign this agreement.
- Website terms and conditions – Terms and conditions allow customers to use an organization’s products as per their guidance. Things like minimum age requirements, governing law, and timelines, come under a website’s terms and conditions.
Can you overlook the legal part?
Frankly, you can’t! If you want to have a smooth-running business, you’ll have to follow the rules and norms set by the Companies Act 2006. Moreover, staying positive and optimistic will make your task much easier.
More in Legal Advice
Strategies To Keep In Mind While Looking For The Right Attorney
Researching and selecting the perfect lawyer can involve an alarming amount of hard work and brainstorming. And even after that if...November 16, 2021
Who Should Be Blamed For Slip & Fall Injuries?
Regardless of how proper your gait is, it’s absolutely impossible that you’ve never slipped and fell in your life. It’s really...November 9, 2021
Tips and Tricks to Survive Law School
Imagine this – Your dream to get admission into your desired law school turns into reality. It’s your first day at...November 5, 2021
Hey, PowerPuff Lady! Vanquish the Odds in Your Legal Career with These Success Strategies
Obtaining a career in law is challenging as it is, but if you’re a woman, the struggle increases manifold. Well actually,...November 3, 2021
3 Smart Tips to Ace Law School
If you’ve watched Dark Waters, we’re sure the law aspirant in you is completely fascinated by the bold, successful, and whip-smart...October 27, 2021
Are You a Fresh Grad with No Work Experience? Here’s How You Can Build an Impressive Resume
A lot of job positions require some sort of experience for candidates to be considered. This is bad news for many...October 27, 2021
Common Mistakes People Make While Writing A Will
Jotting down your last wishes is a way to provide your family and loved ones with proper guidance and a plan...October 26, 2021
Age…What’s That? Septuagenarian Earns Law Degree at 75!
Turning 60 this year? It’s high time you should join a senior’s club, make a will, organize your power of attorney,...October 25, 2021
Can’t Pay for University Right Now? These are Some Alternative Paths You Can Take
There are many paths that can lead you to success. While a lot of people believe that getting a degree from...October 20, 2021