Legal Tips For Smooth Sailing Small Business Operations
Running a business isn’t child’s play. From meeting client requirements to keeping employees happy, an entrepreneur has to juggle multiple roles. Despite knowing the game’s challenges beforehand, many individuals have the grit to step into the ring and become entrepreneurs.
Well, thanks to them today, the SMEs are prospering like never before. According to 2017s data, 99.3% of private sector businesses are small businesses, among them, 99.9% are small and medium-sized enterprises.
Read – Interesting small business ideas
If you want to join this league and be a small business owner, you’ve got to get rid of your fears and take the right steps to start your own business. Here are some bits of legal advice you should consider to ensure smooth operations to help you along.
Use written, custom-drafted agreements only
Whenever you sign a contract, opt for a written document. Written documents specify your legal obligations and help prevent future misunderstandings that are often witnessed in the case of non-binding verbal agreements. Moreover, don’t make the mistake of using default templates for agreements. They often include clauses that don’t suit all businesses and you can end up in legal implications. Avoid using templates and create your own agreements.
Don’t underestimate the value of intellectual property
In 2014, a Forbes commentator revealed that more than 80% of a company’s value stems from its intangible assets. Therefore one should never neglect their intellectual properties such as design, copyright, and many more.
Avoiding internal conflict
Take special care in drafting the below mentioned internal agreements:
- Shareholder’s Agreement – It defines the company’s relationship with its shareholder and accelerates the decision-making process.
- Directors’ Service Agreement – It allows employees to state the duties and rights beyond the Companies Act of 2006 in front of their directors.
- Employment Agreement – Used for describing an employee’s duties and rights, the employment agreement serves as a default legal provision for workers.
Avoiding external conflict?
The below mentioned external agreements should also not be overlooked:
- Non Disclosure Agreement – Usually, when a business shares documents with a third-party and agrees on keeping the details confidential, it signs a non-disclosure agreement.
- Software Development Agreement – With tons of startups coming up, businesses have to protect their intellectual property right. When another party is developing the same software as your company, you both need to sign this agreement.
- Website terms and conditions – Terms and conditions allow customers to use an organization’s products as per their guidance. Things like minimum age requirements, governing law, and timelines, come under a website’s terms and conditions.
Read – Challenges & Winning Strategies for SMEs
Can you overlook the legal part?
Frankly, you can’t! If you want to have a smooth-running business, you’ll have to follow the rules and norms set by the Companies Act 2006. Moreover, staying positive and optimistic will make your task much easier.
More in Legal Advice
All About Law Degree: Career, Scope, Salary & More
For most people, a law degree is only required to become a professional lawyer or an attorney. While that is true,...February 4, 2023
Delays & Backlogs In The Family Court System
Whenever things turn south in a family, as they are bound to, the family court system is the only ray of...January 23, 2023
Top 7 Challenges Only A Law Student Can Understand
Let’s have a look at Top 7 challenges every Law student will have to face during his study years that other...January 17, 2023
Fixing The Judicial System With Keith Findley
The current justice system isn’t perfect or flawless, to say the least. In fact, the system bears serious defects that often show...January 11, 2023
Mariah Carey Wins Court Battle Over “All I Want For Christmas Is You”
A $20 million copyright infringement lawsuit launched by a Mississippi songwriter against Mariah Carey, her co-writer on the number-one hit holiday classic ...January 5, 2023
Ask Yourself These Questions Before Entering Into Law School
Getting a law degree means the potential for a long-term career. Given that lawyers and professional attorneys are one of the...December 29, 2022
Amal Clooney’s Twins Make First Public Appearance In Italy
While Hollywood babies deserve all the adoration and excitement the public can give, it gets even more exciting when it’s twice...December 25, 2022
5 Defense Questions to Ask Your Criminal Attorney
Being convicted of a crime is a difficult thing whether you are guilty or not. To help you in your criminal case...December 10, 2022
Kanye West Is To Pay $200,000 In Child Support
It feels almost like yesterday when Kanye West, who now goes as Ye, went on a huge rant and publicly humiliated...December 8, 2022