5 Cyber Security Tips that will Save Your Career as an In-House Lawyer
As an In-house Lawyer, Don’t Be Complacent
Do you think nobody will hack your and your company’s data because you are a lawyer? Well, think again. Stats show that no one is safe from cybersecurity attacks. “No one,” and as an in-house lawyer, you are no exception. Remember the Biglaw Cybersecurity attack that cost millions of dollars in a matter of one single day.
In the words of the renowned lawyer Jay Edelson, “85% of law firms have been the victim of cybersecurity attacks. And the remainder 15% either do not know about the hack or lying.”
So, make cybersecurity your top-most priority. This will prepare you for any potential attacks.
2. Use Password Manager
For an in-house lawyer, passwords are inevitable. You must have a fairly secure password to preserve your and your client’s data. However, hackers do track the most commonly used passwords. So, it is better to have an uncommon and untrackable in place.
Nonetheless, if you have multiple passwords and you constantly forget them, there are certain tools that will help you out. Last Password and 1Password are some of those tools.
3. 2 Step Authenticator is Dead? Think Again
As an in-house lawyer, it is almost mandatory for you to have your and your clients’ data secured. One of the efficient ways to secure these data online is to use the 2 step authenticator.
You will link either your cell phone or alternative email address with your current online. When unknown devices try logging in to your account, they will have to go through the 2 step verification. By using this 2 step authenticator, you shut the doors of your online account for hackers.
Nonetheless, many people consider 2 step authentication process slow and cumbersome. But if you look at the picture and the objective becomes clearer to you, the process will seem easy. After all, if you try it twice or thrice, you will get used to it.
4. Never Forget to Backup
This tip should have been our first point, but here we are. Backing up your data is one of the top prerequisites of in-house lawyers. Since life is full of uncertainties, you may become a victim of misfortune. For example, fire blows up in your house, flood whisks away your laptop and essential files, or your desktop gets massively hacked.
You can have all these essential data and files within seconds if you back up your data. Backing up with Cloud and Google Drive are the most popular ones.
However, experts suggest being cautious while backing up with services like Dropbox and Edata storage providers. They argue that these software simply create a copy of the existing files, and a virus in your computer can damage the entire storage.
5. Be Cybersecurity Educated
As you read on, it is an indication itself that you are curious about your data, and you are looking to be cybersecurity educated. This attitude alone will lead you to take real-time precautions and measures to avoid any potential attack on your data.
Given the inevitability of cybersecurity hacks, you must educate your colleagues and team members to be cybersecurity educated. After all, a learned man can’t be hacked. Rather, the complacent ones become a victim of cybersecurity attacks.
More in Law Degree
Find the Right Law Degree Specialization for You
Legal profession involves an individual who studies, develops, and applies the law. He is called a lawyer or attorney in the...May 4, 2023
Here’s How Lawyers Can Kickstart Their Own Law Firms
There are many reasons professional lawyers are interested in kickstarting their own law firms. Some lawyers are fed up with their...April 27, 2023
Pro Bono Lawyers: Everything You Ought to Know
What is Pro Bono Work? Pro bono work is a type of legal service that attorneys and lawyers provide for free....April 24, 2023
Top 3 Historic Hollywood Feuds Of All Time
When you think of Hollywood, often the first things that come to mind are glamour, fame, and fortune. But what about...April 16, 2023
Family Law Reforms: Putting Children’s Interest First
Family law reforms refer to changes made in the laws related to family matters. These cover a wide range of topics,...April 8, 2023
How To Refinance Your Student Loans
As a recent college graduate, managing the burden of student loans can be difficult. Fortunately, there are options available to help...April 2, 2023
Artem Lobov Sues Conor McGregor For $600 Million Over Proper 12 Whisky
It looks like Conor McGregor and his former friend, fellow UFC fighter Artem Lobov, are in for a legal battle. Lobov sued Conor...March 27, 2023
What We Know About Kobe Bryant’s Death
On January 26, 2020, the world lost an icon in the sports world. Kobe Bryant, a legendary basketball player, passed away...March 20, 2023
Versace Sued This Fast Fashion Brand for Ripping Off J-Lo’s Iconic Jungle Dress
Picture yourself turning 50: wrinkles and fine lines vividly showing up on your forehead and under your eyes when you squint, your...March 15, 2023